YORK, Pa. - A leadership change is underway at Bon-Ton.
The York-based company announced Monday that Kathryn Bufano will step down as its president and chief executive officer, effective August 25. William Tracy, the company's current chief operating officer, will take her place.
"Bon-Ton has a long and successful history as the hometown store for consumers, and I am proud of the accomplishments we made during my tenure as CEO," Bufano said. "I look forward to working with Bill to ensure a smooth transition, and wish Bon-Ton and the entire team the best of luck in the future."
Tracy has been with Bon-Ton since 2015, having previously worked for such companies as Nine West and Lord & Taylor.
"Bill is a proven leader with more than 40 years of retail experience in the areas of operations, supply chain management and logistics for national department stores," said Tim Grumbacher, Bon-Ton's board chairman. "We are confident that Bill will be a successful leader based on his in-depth knowledge of the retail industry, his operational expertise and his understanding of the Bon-Ton business."
"We have a strong team in place that has worked diligently over the recent years to strengthen Bon-Ton's competitive position within the industry, despite the difficult retail environment," Tracy said. "I am proud of the progress that we have made thus far and see opportunities to build on the strategic initiatives we have in place."
Bon-Ton also announced Monday that Chad Stauffer, one of the company's current general merchandise managers, will take on the role of chief merchandising officer, responsible for leading Bon-Ton's merchandising strategy.
Stuaffer, a nine-year veteran of the company, previously worked at Belk, Sports Authority, Kohl's, and J.C. Penney.
"Chad brings great insight and experience to his new role, with a long track record of success in merchandising," Grumbacher said. "We look forward to his contributions as he leads the team to ensure that Bon-Ton continues to have a differentiated and compelling merchandise offering that closely aligns with the shopping needs of our customers."
The Bon-Ton Stores Inc. operates 261 stores, including nine furniture galleries and four clearance centers in 25 states under the Bon-Ton, Bergner's, Boston Store, Carson's, Elder-Beerman, Herberger's and Younkers nameplates.
- Lehigh Valley Lehigh University dissolves Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity
- Berks Woman finds another piece of Southwest Airlines plane debris
- Lehigh Valley PennDOT repairs hole in Hellertown Water Street Bridge
- Berks Police ask retailers to be on lookout for gift card scams
- Berks Berks funeral home invites condolences to Bush family
- Berks - Police ask retailers to be on lookout for gift card scams
- Berks - Berks funeral home invites condolences to Bush family
- Berks - Crews clear logjam from Schuylkill River near Douglassville
- Berks - Magic returns to Reading with reopening of Mingus Magic Shop
- Lehigh Valley - Volunteers spruce up local veteran nonprofit