ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The tax man is targeting more than 200 businesses in Allentown's Neighborhood Improvement Zone, or NIZ.
The state is penalizing 241 businesses that missed the NIZ's first tax filing deadline of Jan, 30. That's 78% of the zone's 307 businesses; 34 of those businesses filed late. The others didn't file at all.
Late-filers must pay 10% of their tax bills. The others must pay an additional $1,000 each.
There had been uncertainty about the filing process among some business owners with whom 69 News spoke in January.
While it's sympathetic to businesses that didn't know they had to file, the state said it's still obligated to fine them.
A NIZ is a special tax zone where the Allentown hockey arena is being built.
- Lehigh Valley 5 homes destroyed in Allentown fire, several families displaced
- Lehigh Valley Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka homicide case returns to court
- Updated Berks Reading teen held on 2,000+ charges in football game shooting
- Pennsylvania Trump, state GOP seek to block Pennsylvania recount bid
- Updated Pennsylvania Barletta talks to Trump about labor secretary job
- Pennsylvania - Trump, state GOP seek to block Pennsylvania recount bid
- Updated Pennsylvania - Barletta talks to Trump about labor secretary job
- Updated New Jersey - Feds target sleep apnea, speeding after deadly train crash
- Weather - Windy with some sun today & into the weekend
- Lehigh Valley - Bethlehem man faces 30 years for sexually assaulting girl