ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The tax man is targeting more than 200 businesses in Allentown's Neighborhood Improvement Zone, or NIZ.
The state is penalizing 241 businesses that missed the NIZ's first tax filing deadline of Jan, 30. That's 78% of the zone's 307 businesses; 34 of those businesses filed late. The others didn't file at all.
Late-filers must pay 10% of their tax bills. The others must pay an additional $1,000 each.
There had been uncertainty about the filing process among some business owners with whom 69 News spoke in January.
While it's sympathetic to businesses that didn't know they had to file, the state said it's still obligated to fine them.
A NIZ is a special tax zone where the Allentown hockey arena is being built.
- Lehigh Valley Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Lehigh Valley Local man takes business idea to the beach
- New Jersey Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Lehigh Valley Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Southeastern PA Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- Lehigh Valley - Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Southeastern PA - Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- Lehigh Valley - PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- National - In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Poconos Coal - Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic