ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The tax man is targeting more than 200 businesses in Allentown's Neighborhood Improvement Zone, or NIZ.
The state is penalizing 241 businesses that missed the NIZ's first tax filing deadline of Jan, 30. That's 78% of the zone's 307 businesses; 34 of those businesses filed late. The others didn't file at all.
Late-filers must pay 10% of their tax bills. The others must pay an additional $1,000 each.
There had been uncertainty about the filing process among some business owners with whom 69 News spoke in January.
While it's sympathetic to businesses that didn't know they had to file, the state said it's still obligated to fine them.
A NIZ is a special tax zone where the Allentown hockey arena is being built.
- Berks - Emergency sewer work shuts down Rt. 100 in Bally Borough
- Poconos Coal - 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Lehigh Valley - LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- Lehigh Valley - ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects
- Poconos Coal - Mother charged after concealing death of baby