ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The tax man is targeting more than 200 businesses in Allentown's Neighborhood Improvement Zone, or NIZ.
The state is penalizing 241 businesses that missed the NIZ's first tax filing deadline of Jan, 30. That's 78% of the zone's 307 businesses; 34 of those businesses filed late. The others didn't file at all.
Late-filers must pay 10% of their tax bills. The others must pay an additional $1,000 each.
There had been uncertainty about the filing process among some business owners with whom 69 News spoke in January.
While it's sympathetic to businesses that didn't know they had to file, the state said it's still obligated to fine them.
A NIZ is a special tax zone where the Allentown hockey arena is being built.
- Berks Train hits truck at Route 724 crossing in Cumru
- Southeastern PA Hundreds attend memorial for Grace Packer
- Lehigh Valley Local band gears up for Inauguration Day performance
- Lehigh Valley Whitehall pays $375K to settle discrimination claim
- Lehigh Valley Two homes struck after shots fired in Allentown
- Lehigh Valley - Whitehall pays $375K to settle discrimination claim
- Lehigh Valley - Two homes struck after shots fired in Allentown
- Lehigh Valley - Feeling down? Blame Blue Monday
- Lehigh Valley - Lafayette employees excited for downtown move
- Berks - Students, seniors partner for heartwarming project