ALLENTOWN, Pa - There's a big announcement being cooked-up in Allentown, and it smells like crab fries.
The PPL Center announced Wednesday morning that Chickie's and Pete's is opening a full-service restaurant in the new Lehigh Valley Phantoms hockey arena.
To celebrate the announcement, a Chickie's and Pete's food truck was parked outside the arena at Seventh and Hamilton streets Thursday morning, handing out free crab fries to construction workers.
This is just one of three restaurants that will be part of the arena through Ovations Food Services.
Ovations said it is excited to have the number one sports bar in North America at the arena.
"They have a great product, great menu items. So it's exciting for us, Ovations, and for the Phamtoms to have it be part of the arena," said Linda Recke, Ovation's vice president.
Chickie's and Pete's will be open seven days a week, not only when there are events at the arena.
In addition to Chickie's and Pete's, Ovations Food Services has been selected to bring its 'Everything's Fresh' approach in food to the PPL Center.
"Ovations has a reputation of creativity and top notch food varieties", said Jim Brooks of BDH Development. "We have discussed offering options for all types of diets and desires, including vegetarian, gluten free, and others."
According to a news release, customers will find themed concession concepts along the arena concourse, and guests will never find pre-wrapped anything.
The PPL Center is expected to open in September.
Previously announced was the venue's first concert -- the Eagles.
- Lehigh Valley DA criticizes state police investigation of shooting by troopers
- Lehigh Valley Going the distance: Local couple celebrates 2,700 rides on Dorney's "Steel Force"
- Southeastern PA 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Lehigh Valley Pershing Square reduces holding in Air Products
- Berks Schuylkill Valley HS breaks ground on athletic complex
- Lehigh Valley - Pershing Square reduces holding in Air Products
- Berks - Schuylkill Valley HS breaks ground on athletic complex
- Berks - Exeter Township moves forward with plans to change EMS service
- Lehigh Valley - Colonial Regional, Bath could negotiate contracted services pact
- Lehigh Valley - Rehearsal underway for 2017 Freddy's