Some heavy hitters from the Democratic and Republican parties visited the Lehigh Valley on Tuesday, touting ways to increase manufacturing jobs.
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett talked about the findings in the Governor's Manufacturing Advisory Council Report.
He said education is the key to growing the state economy, while a member of the Obama administration said government and businesses need to work together on job creation.
Acting U.S. Commerce Secretary Rebecca Blank delivered a $500,000 check to Bridgeworks Enterprise Center in Allentown.
The money comes from the Economic Development Administration to upgrade the center and create 46 new jobs.
"The EDA investment in Allentown is an example of the Obama administration's commitment to helping businesses get the tools and infrastructure they need to grow and create jobs," said Blank.
"We cannot get into the partisan bickering of Republican or Democrat. If this country is to grow, that has to be put aside for the better interest of our kids," said Corbett, a Republican.
Corbett agreed that new jobs in manufacturing are needed to solve the jobs crisis, but he said it needs to involve more training of workers in high skilled jobs.
The comments came as he was in Upper Macungie Twp., Lehigh Co., touring Westport Axle. The company opened shop in June and, when fully staffed, will have 500 people working.
Corbett's visit was timed to the release of the Governor's Manufacturing Advisory Council report
It points to the number one change needed in the state, training and education.
In spite of massive cuts to programs at several school districts across the state, the governor said they will work on funding those programs to prepare future workers. That will take working together on all government levels.
"School boards and school districts, and I've said this repeatedly, have to look at how they are spending the money," added Corbett.
Corbett said they will also look at new ways to help generate more manufacturing jobs and money for them in the state budget.
- Lehigh Valley Local communities celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Southeastern PA Memorial to be held for Grace Packer
- Lehigh Valley Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka dead at the age of 73
- Updated Lehigh Valley Lamont McClure to announce bid for Northampton County Executive
- Updated Berks West Reading businesses look forward to finish of Buttonwood Street Bridge project
- Updated Lehigh Valley - Lamont McClure to announce bid for Northampton County Executive
- Updated Berks - West Reading businesses look forward to finish of Buttonwood Street Bridge project
- Berks - STOMP set for return to Reading in March
- Updated Poconos Coal - Hazleton-area man arrested for sexual crimes against children
- Updated Weather - Increasing clouds this afternoon then a bit of freezing rain overnight