BETHEL TWP., Pa. - Construction can now begin on a facility that is expected to bring hundreds of jobs to Berks County.
Gov. Tom Corbett helped PetSmart officials break ground Friday on the company's new distribution center in Bethel Township.
The $50 million, 870,000 square-foot facility will be built in the Berks County Industrial Park at Interstate 78 and Route 501.
"As governor, it is my priority to bring economic prosperity back to Pennsylvania by growing private sector jobs," Corbett said. "Bringing projects like PetSmart's distribution center to our state is adding jobs and having a positive economic impact on local communities."
The company received a $1 million Pa. First grant, $245,250 in job training assistance and $1.09 million in job creation tax credits from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, officials said.
PetSmart said it expects to complete construction in the first quarter of 2014 and have 500 people working on site by 2016.
Dollar General also has plans to build a distribution center in the same industrial park. Its $100 million, 900,000 square-foot facility will also create 500 new jobs inside the warehouse and 75 jobs for truckers, said officials, adding that construction is expected to start this fall.
Dollar General received a $1 million Pa. First grant, $225,000 in job training assistance and $1 million in job creation tax credits from the state, officials said.
- Poconos Coal Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Updated New Jersey NJ Gov. Christie compares opioid drug crisis to AIDS epidemic
- Updated Berks BB gun-toting vandals shooting out car windows in Reading
- Updated Health Beat Health Beat: Achilles rupture: Are you at risk?
- Berks Trump's first 100 days: Alvernia professor weighs in
- Updated Health Beat - Health Beat: Achilles rupture: Are you at risk?
- Berks - Trump's first 100 days: Alvernia professor weighs in
- Lehigh Valley - Police allegedly link cigarette butt to break-in suspect
- Lehigh Valley - Bethlehem man among white nationalists indicted on weapons, drug charges
- New Jersey - Doctor accused of bribing Menendez guilty of Medicare fraud