ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A well-known collector and appraiser from the Lehigh Valley is putting his treasures up for auction.
For vintage fanatics, the items at the K.D. Smith Auction House in Allentown are more than toys - they're memories.
"I think there are some really wonderful things here. Some very rare things that you don't ordinarily see," said Bill Eggleston from South Whitehall.
Collector and appraiser Harry Rinker, a Lehigh Valley native, has made a name for himself through antiques and collectibles. Now those collectibles must be sold.
"He's a celebrity and we know him personally. And as we sell this stuff, we're going to be selling a lot of it to people because of that personal connection, so that's going to be fun," said Kevin Smith, auctioneer and owner of the K.D. Smith Auction House.
Rinker especially loved the fictional cowboy character, Hopalong Cassidy.
Smith says Rinker's Hopalong Cassidy bedroom set is one of a kind and a Hopalong Cassidy linoleum floor will have special interest to bidders.
"It was made locally. It was made in the Fullerton area back in the 1950's, so it has a local connection," said Smith.
If you're not keen on Hopalong Cassidy, there are plenty of other collectibles. Smith says Rinker had a passion for board games and popular Christmas toys.
An Erector Set from the 1930's is up for grabs, as is a Lite Brite kit from 1967.
Even the Travel Channel got in on the action as they filmed an upcoming episode of the auction show "Baggage Battles" at K.D. Smith Auctions.
The Rinker auction will continue on Saturday, and Smith says to look for more of Rinker's items next year, giving collectors another chance to grab a vintage memory.
John Arrington from Coopersburg will likely be back.
"I've been doing this for 40 years. I love antiques, so I'm always looking and coming down here," he said.
- Lehigh Valley First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- Lehigh Valley Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Lehigh Valley Deadly dog attack prompts warning to other dog owners
- Lehigh Valley Arrest made in Allentown murder
- Lehigh Valley Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Lehigh Valley - Arrest made in Allentown murder
- Lehigh Valley - Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- News - Members of white supremacist group face federal charges
- Poconos Coal - Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Lehigh Valley - Nazareth rollover crash injures two