ALLENTOWN, Pa. - In the area of minor league baseball, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs are one of the top MVT's-- or most valuable teams.
According to Forbes magazine, the IronPigs, affiliated with the International League and the AAA affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies,, is the third most valuable team in the country for 2013.
The 'Pigs only trail number one Sacranento River Cats, a AAA affiliate of the Oakland Athletics, and the Round Rock Express, a AAA affiliate of the Rexas Rangers.
Lehigh Valley's owners Craig Stein and Joe Finley bought the Ottawa Lynx in 2006 for a reported $14 million and moved the team to Allentown, where it's become one of minor league baseball's success stories.
The IronPigs have lead the minors in attendance for the last three years and are the only team in Minor League Baseball to have annual attendance above 600,000 each of the last five seasons.
Forbes magazine says the IronPigs team is worth $33 million.
Rounding out the top 10:
T4. Columbus Clippers, AAA affiliate of the Cleveland Indians
Indianapolis Indians, AAA affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates
6. Dayton Dragons, A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds
7. Albuquerque Isotopes, AAA affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers
T8. Toledo Mud Hens, AAA affiliate of the Detroit Tigers
T8. Louisville Bats, AAA affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds
T8. Memphis Redbirds, AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals
To read the complete list, go to Forbes' website.
- Updated Berks RNC chief rallies Republicans in Berks
- Southeastern PA Montgomery County 911 callers may get busy signal
- Updated Politics Leaked emails raise more questions about Clinton dealings
- Updated Berks Race for Congress: Hartman vs. Smucker
- Poconos Coal Stroudsburg man arrested after police seize more than 4,000 bags of heroin
- Updated Lehigh Valley - Man accused of Lehigh Valley killing spree pleads guilty
- Updated Berks - RNC chief rallies Republicans in Berks
- Southeastern PA - Montgomery County 911 callers may get busy signal
- Updated Politics - Leaked emails raise more questions about Clinton dealings
- Updated Berks - Race for Congress: Hartman vs. Smucker