WARREN COUNTY, N.J. - J.C. Penney announced it is closing 33 under-performing stores, including the one at the Phillipsburg Mall in New Jersey.
There will also be 2,000 jobs cuts with the closings. The cuts are expected to save about $65 million a year.
Shoppers at the Phillipsburg mall weighed in on the local store closing.
"I saw it online this afternoon so actually wanted to come up just to see if there was a lot of people around but as normal on a weekday night there's not too much going on up here," said Michael Svonavec.
"If you're going to close a name brand store, I think it's going to hurt," said John Derrico. "They go, now who's going to take their place, who's going to be paying the rent to support this mall?'
The Phillipsburg Mall released the following statement:
"The ownership of Phillipsburg Mall remains committed to and optimistic about the planned redevelopment of the mall. We have several retailers already interested in the J.C. Penney space and we are discussing this leasing opportunity with them."
J.C. Penney is also closing its locations at Exton Square Mall in Chester County and Laurel Mall in Hazleton. The J.C. Penney at the Lehigh Valley Mall is not on the list of store closures.
"We will come back, we will come back," said Derrico, who drives from Staten Island to shop at the Phillipsburg Mall.
The closings will likely happen by May.
- Southeastern PA 2 men injured in Montgomery County crash
- Lehigh Valley PennDOT responds to Saturday morning's icy commute; preps for next round
- Berks Coroner called to scene of overnight crash on I-78
- Lehigh Valley Community decorates World War II vet's home for Christmas
- Lehigh Valley Squirrel blamed for fire at PPL substation
- Lehigh Valley - Community decorates World War II vet's home for Christmas
- Lehigh Valley - Squirrel blamed for fire at PPL substation
- - Man shot and killed by Forks Township police identified
- Lehigh Valley - Man dies on job at worksite in Allen Township
- News - State police: Officer shoots suspect fleeing in police car