King George Inn contents auctioned off until gas leak forces building's evacuation

King George Inn contents auctioned off

SOUTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - Lehigh County's King George Inn has gone dark but Monday it was brought to life again.

Much of the contents of the King George Inn were auctioned off until a gas leak forced an evacuation of the restaurant.

As the hot water heater was being removed from its location in the restaurant, a gas leak was found, fire officials said.

The restaurant was evacuated and the auction called off until further notice.

Owner Cliff McDermott was forced to close the establishment in August.

The building has been around since 1756.

It's on the National Register of Historic Places.

The closing has been tough for patrons and former employees.

"It's really, really awful to see," said former employee Joanna Bertalan. "I'm hoping there's a good person out there that would like to buy this building and keep it up because it's just history. It would be a shame and there's so many people that would come here all the time. Their hearts are broken."

While the restaurant is gone for good there's no word yet on what will happen to the building.

It's also up for sale.

A date to continue the auction has not yet been set.

Latest From the Newsroom

This Week's Circulars

News Direct From U.S. Businesses

A Service from PR Newswire

News Direct From Regional Businesses

A Service from PR Newswire

Latest From The Newsroom