WYOMISSING, Pa. - Before anyone sits down for turkey on Thursday, police are bracing for a wild night on "Black Wednesday."
Come Wednesday night, Topher Lengel, a bartender at Building 24 in Wyomissing, Berks Co., expects to pour a lot of alcohol.
"Last year, I know when we opened the doors, there was a line all the way to the door at Gold's Gym," said Lengel.
Building 24 has turned into a hot spot on "Black Wednesday." Bars are gearing up for the crowds, and the Pennsylvania State Police are prepared to crash the party for drivers who plan to get behind the wheel drunk.
"You could kill yourself. You could kill someone in your car, and you could kill somebody in another car," said Tpr. David Beohm.
Last year, PSP issued more than 1,000 citations and made 27 DUI arrests in Berks, Lebanon and Schuylkill counties. Officers will be out again this year, saturating the major roads.
"It's OK to go out and have fun, but make sure you have someone that can get you home safely," said Beohm.
That's the idea that got the wheels of Late Nite Loop turning. It's a new business designed to be your designated driver.
"We're just trying to create a means of getting from one place to another safely, and it's helping the community with getting drunk drivers off the road," said Andre Giannotti, who launched the shuttle service two months ago.
Late Nite Loop will take you to 13 different bars throughout the county. All you have to do is make a reservation on the website,, and they will provide a safe and convenient way to your desired location.
"Any minute we can take off the road a drunk driver, I think is a win in our category," said Giannotti.
Late Nite Loop charges for each ride, but Giannotti said avoiding an accident and saving a life is priceless.
- Berks Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- News Strong storms move through the region
- Berks Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Lehigh Valley Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Lehigh Valley Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Lehigh Valley - Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Lehigh Valley - Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Pennsylvania - Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Pennsylvania - Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- New Jersey - Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees