A proposal to raise the minimum wage in New Jersey has struck a nerve in Trenton.
State Senate President Steve Sweeney says he wants voters to decide whether to raise the minimum wage by $1 next year.
The Democrat's proposal would require amending the state constitution.
Governor Chris Christie says that is "truly ridiculous."
He also accused Sweeney of trying to perform an end-around.
Sweeney says he hasn't advanced his bill because Christie won't sign it.
The current minimum wage in New Jersey is $7.25 an hour.
- Lehigh Valley How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Berks Memorial Day services across Berks County
- Updated Berks One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Lehigh Valley Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Poconos Coal Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.