A proposal to raise the minimum wage in New Jersey has struck a nerve in Trenton.
State Senate President Steve Sweeney says he wants voters to decide whether to raise the minimum wage by $1 next year.
The Democrat's proposal would require amending the state constitution.
Governor Chris Christie says that is "truly ridiculous."
He also accused Sweeney of trying to perform an end-around.
Sweeney says he hasn't advanced his bill because Christie won't sign it.
The current minimum wage in New Jersey is $7.25 an hour.
- Lehigh Valley - Feeling down? Blame Blue Monday
- Lehigh Valley - Lafayette employees excited for downtown move
- Berks - Students, seniors partner for heartwarming project
- Berks - Volunteers honor MLK Jr. by installing free smoke detectors
- Lehigh Valley - Study: Allentown has highest rent-income ratio in US