Orlando is the best city in America for retirees looking for affordability, a great quality of life and stellar health care, according to a new analysis by WalletHub.
The Florida city came out on top when WalletHub looked at more than 180 cities and ranked them by 46 separate measures of what makes a place attractive to retirees.
WalletHub says its findings are intended to “help Americans plan an affordable retirement while maintaining the best quality of life.”
Florida cities made up half of the top 10 retirement destinations in the U.S. cited in the survey. Warm-weather cities dominated the list, with one notable exception: Denver, which finished at No. 4.
According to WalletHub, the top 10 cities for retirement are:
- Orlando, Florida
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- Tampa, Florida
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Austin, Texas
- Cape Coral, Florida
- Tempe, Arizona
Factors computed into the final rankings included:
- Cost of living
- Taxpayer-friendliness to retirees
- Availability of recreational and cultural activities
- Quality of health care
- Mild weather
Finding your retirement home
Of course, a list like this is really just intended to get you thinking. Finding the right retirement home involves a lot more work.
As we report in “4 Questions You Must Ask Before Deciding Where to Retire,” you must plan for all possibilities before selecting a spot:
Changes — in finances, health and mobility — can happen quickly after age 60. An idyllic spot in the mountains or by the seashore may become too remote, or your home may become too hard to maintain after you’ve had a heart attack, been diagnosed with diabetes or simply slowed down.
Read the story for more tips about what you need to consider before choosing a place to retire.
More from Money Talks News:
- Lehigh Valley Off the Gridiron - The beat goes on for Raymer Pena
- Lehigh Valley Beaglemania wraps up
- Berks Mother's concern leads to bill to help keep construction workers safe
- Berks Wyomissing police on homicide charges: 'A lot of it is luck and good people'
- Lehigh Valley Haunted Hugh Moore Park kicks off in Easton