Federal regulators are getting more specific about upgrades for dozens of nuclear power plants including one in our region.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has ordered 31 power plants to upgrade ventilation systems for their reactors.
The Limerick Generating Station in Montgomery County is one of those plants.
The upgrades are meant to prevent hydrogen explosions like those that damaged the Fukushima Daiichi power plant in Japan two years ago.
The 31 plants, including Limerick, have reactors similar to Fukushima's.
Limerick is expected to complete the upgrades over the next six years.
- Lehigh Valley Despite terrible injury, NCC graduate never gave up
- News Pennsylvania mushroom farms face labor shortage
- Berks Berks lawmakers explain Pennsylvania's compliance with Real ID law
- Berks Boyertown looks to enhance privacy in restrooms, locker rooms
- Poconos Coal Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 69News at Sunrise - Strawberries are ripe for picking in Northampton County
- Life Lessons - Life Lessons: Dining with strangers
- Updated Lehigh Valley - Study: Tourism generates $2 billion annually in the Lehigh Valley
- Updated Lehigh Valley - Allentown School Board considers tax hike to balance budget
- Berks - Umpire remembers crash victim as 'outstanding young man'