LIMERICK TWP., Pa. - A worker at a nuclear power plant has been removed from duty after being found to under the influence of alcohol, federal officials said.
A random "fitness for duty" test was conducted on July 14 at the Exelon Limerick Generating Station in Montgomery County, and it was discovered that Rodger Devlin was under the influence of alcohol, said Diane Screnci, spokeswoman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), which is the federal agency that overseas the nuclear industry in the United States.
"We expect all workers at a nuclear plant to be fit for duty when they are on site," said Screnci.
Devlin was promptly removed from duty and received a severity level III violation, investigators said.
"It means it resulted in, or could have resulted in, moderate safety or security consequence. Typically, when we're talking violations, we're looking at systems that are not able to function for a short period of time," said Screnci.
Authorities added that Devlin's responsibilities included serving as the plant reactor operator, as well as being able to perform plant manipulations.
Devlin's license has since been suspended, officials said.
"In this case, they administered a random test, found someone who was under the influence of alcohol, and took the appropriate actions," said Screnci.
Officials pointed out that Devlin was never in the control room alone, and that public health and safety were never in danger.
- Updated Poconos Coal Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- Berks Boyertown looks to enhance privacy in restrooms, locker rooms
- New Lehigh Valley Jose Rosado and the Allentown School District at odds over book
- New Lehigh Valley VFW Awareness Day at Catasauqua school
- News Pennsylvania mushroom farms face labor shortage
- New Lehigh Valley - VFW Awareness Day at Catasauqua school
- News - Pennsylvania mushroom farms face labor shortage
- Berks - UGI Energy Services presents scholarship to Berks foundation
- Lehigh Valley - UGI Defends Proposed Bethlehem Gas Storage Tank Proposal
- Lehigh Valley - Veterans highlight issues faced by those returning from war