BETHLEHEM TWP., Pa. - Imagine if the ground opened up and devoured part of your property. It's obviously unexpected, but you can be protected.
Maryann Paluch at DE Cressman Insurance Agency in Allentown says she always offers sinkhole coverage to customers.
"It's not included in a typical homeowner's policy," she clarified. "It's a rider like if you want to insure jewelry or sewer and drain backup."
But she estimates only about 30% decide to add it to their policy.
"It's something that people don't think about until it happens in their neighborhood or in the surrounding area," said Paluch. "Everybody should have it."
Sinkholes are fairly common in the Lehigh Valley. Experts say it's because of the foundation of limestone beneath many properties. Weak acidic water in the ground dissolves the limestone and caverns form.
"Just call your agent and ask them to add it," explained Paluch. "It usually runs about maybe between $70 and $120 a year."
But if you make that phone call after a sinkhole develops, you may be too late.
At DE Cressman there's a waiting period before you can get coverage, although, each insurance company is different.
Paluch recommends adding sinkhole coverage to your policy, and make sure you do your homework.
"Know what kind of coverage there is for sinkhole insurance even if you have the coverage," she said.
- Lehigh Valley Man killed in Heidelberg motorcycle crash
- Lehigh Valley World War II veteran receives check toward Iwo Jima trip
- Lehigh Valley Large fire at Highway Marine in Quakertown area
- Updated Berks Suspicious briefcase prompts bomb squad response in Sinking Spring
- Life Lessons Life Lessons: Big Brothers/Big Sisters Bowl for Kids' Sake
- Updated Berks - Suspicious briefcase prompts bomb squad response in Sinking Spring
- Life Lessons - Life Lessons: Big Brothers/Big Sisters Bowl for Kids' Sake
- Weather - A bit cooler for Presidents' Day today, but still mild for late February
- Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Zoo flourishes in spring-like weather
- Lehigh Valley - Allentown police investigate 7-Eleven armed robbery