CUMRU TWP., Pa. - Whether it's the art of his move or the pieces of moving artwork he creates, Dave Ford can certainly be described as a unique artist.
While two of his primary tools are just ordinary art paper and pencils, there's one more thing Ford needs before beginning his creations -- a Penske rental truck.
Ford, a former professional truck driver, then covers the back of the box truck with the art paper and uses a special rigging to mount some 100 pencil-tipped water bottle pendulums.
Ford then takes to the road, arranging the bottles to maximize the paper markings and letting the movement of the truck do the work, as he recently demonstrated during a visit to the Penske Truck Leasing headquarters in Cumru Twp., Berks Co.
"Utilizing personal environments and their found energy has been the focus of my work for several decades," said Ford. "As a truck driver, I was able to harvest an empty load return trip into an opportunity to create an interesting drawing."
The work-in-progress Ford showed off in Berks County is being done on a round-trip between Chicago and Philadelphia, in association with Packer Schopf Gallery of Chicago. He'll present the finished piece at the 8th annual Guerrilla Furniture and Art Truck Show in Chicago on Tuesday.
Penske is covering the cost of the truck rental for Ford's trip.
"We saw Dave's artwork online and were all really impressed with the approach he uses to create it," said Don Mikes, senior vice president of rental for Penske.
"Full Frontal" correspondents Ashley Nicole Black, Amy Hoggart, and Mike Rubens were less than an hour removed from an event that's been in the works for months, and their joy was still palpable.Read More »
- Hacker says it has new season of Netflix's 'Orange is the New Black'
- Will Ferrell returns as Bush for 'Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner'
- Artists mark Trump's 100th day in office
- Ciara and Russell Wilson welcome baby girl
- How 'Thelma' still drives Geena Davis
- 100 days in, Howard Stern was 100% right about Donald Trump
- Today cooler, closer to seasonable with more clouds than sun
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- President Trump signs executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- Updated New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Mahoning Drive-in Theatre is open for business
- Almost like summer at FirstEnergy Stadium
- Nazareth rollover crash injures two
- Man shot in Allentown Friday afternoon