TAMPA - It can be an exhausting week for delegates, which is why they do get some down time to take in the sights.
The official sandwich of Tampa is the Cuban, but not just any Cuban sandwich will make the cut.
"The Cuban sandwich has to be made on Tampa-made Cuban bread," said Casey Gonzmart, a fourth generation co-owner of the Columbia.
Here's what's in between: ham, roast pork, Italian salami, Swiss cheese, pickles and yellow mustard.
"In that order, no other order, and then cut along diagonally, served either here at the Columbia, or many people take them home to go," said Gonzmart.
The Columbia, in historic Ybor City, is Florida's oldest restaurant. Established in 1905 by Casey Gonzmart's great-grandfather, it started as a small corner cafe serving factory workers.
"We're one of only 15 families in the country to still be operating the same restaurant in the same location for over 100 years," said Gonzmart.
The Columbia now occupies 52,000 square feet, an entire city block, but somehow still retains an intimate charm.
All week, it's played host to governors, representatives and delegates while continuing to keep the locals happy.
"I think it's a great feather in the cap for a city like Tampa. The biggest event ever to occur in my lifetime, probably in anyone's lifetime in Tampa," said Gonzmart. "It hasn't really hit us. Call me in about two weeks and I'll tell you how we did."
Truly some of the best food we've ever had.
In a victory for Bill Cosby, a Pennsylvania judge Friday ordered that only one additional accuser will be allowed to testify in his upcoming criminal sexual assault trial to demonstrate the comedian's alleged pattern of criminal conduct.Read More »
- 'La La Land' sound mixer making Oscar history
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Beyonce bows out of Coachella due to pregnancy
- Caitlyn Jenner to Trump: 'Call me'
- Punk antiheroes launched skiing's extreme generation
- Sinead O'Connor retracts Arsenio Hall drug comments
- Route 222 reopens after crash closed it for nearly six hours Friday
- Safe travels, Ed: A new generation honors the Greatest
- Allentown's Police Athletic League keeping kids on the right track
- Easton man charged with homicide in fatal shooting
- Woman loses more than half her body weight after 140-pound mass is removed
- Al Boscov's daughters, lifelong friend to speak at service
- Warm weather in Berks means time for ice cream
- Union Township woman accused of stealing from Parent Teacher Association
- "Mascots for a Cure" get down in Pottstown
- Black Bass Hotel becomes Hollywood movie set