(CNN) - Jimmy Kimmel has some pretty heroic friends.
The host of "Jimmy Kimmel Live" celebrated his 50th birthday on his show Monday and actor Ben Affleck unveiled a surprise for him.
"Star Trek" and "Star Wars" director J.J. Abrams showed up with a blast from Kimmel's past: a superhero comic book the host illustrated and wrote as a child.
Abrams had Kimmel run down the various superheroes, which included Muscle Man, Super Duck and Color Kid.
"The characters, like they really spoke to me," Abrams said. "They demanded to be brought to life."
And that's just what Abrams did with a star-studded trailer for "The Terrific Ten," which the director joked cost $250 million to shoot.
Ben Affleck, Will Arnett, Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Ty Burrell, Billy Crudup, Zach Galifianakis, Jon Hamm and Shaquille O'Neal starred as the superheroes. Even CNN's Jake Tapper made a cameo.
Naturally, Kimmel's nemesis, Matt Damon, portrayed the villain Dr. Bolt along with Wanda Sykes as his sidekick, The Bleach Master.
Seeing his "Kimmel Komix" brought to life tickled the late night host.
"That was the best gift I ever got," Kimmel said. "Unbelievable."
David Cassidy, the wildly popular '70s heartthrob who shot to fame when he starred and sang in TV's "The Partridge Family," is in critical condition with organ failure.Read More »
- Using the Simpsons to explain how Asian Americans are overlooked
- AC/DC co-founder and guitarist Malcolm Young dies at 64
- 6 Mickey Mouse facts you probably didn't know
- Jay-Z takes on criminal justice reform in wake of Meek Mill sentence
- Daily Beast among digital sites eyeing sale
- Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga split
- A tale of two mayors and a police station in East Greenville
- Reading Holiday Parade brings out some holiday cheer
- Periods of rain tonight and becoming increasingly windy
- Santa and ABATE bring Christmas a little early
- $30,000 reward offered for man who shot and killed officer near Pittsburgh
- Chainsaw explosion kills man from York County
- AP: Wolf starting to look like 'two-term Tom' as 2018 approaches
- Last-minute Thanksgiving tips from ShopRite
- Reward offered for info on Hunterdon County arson
- History's Headlines: Firefighting in Bethlehem