(CNN) - A former contestant from "The Voice" is denying a rape accusation made by another female singer.
Melanie Martinez, who appeared on the third season of "The Voice" in 2012, posted a statement on Twitter Tuesday in which she denied an allegation from a female friend who accused her of sexual assault.
Martinez said in the statement that she was "horrified and saddened by the statements and story told tonight by Timothy Heller [her female friend]."
"What she and I shared was a close friendship for a period of time," the statement read. "We came into each other's lives as we were both starting our careers as artists, and we tried to help each other."
But, according to Heller, things took a dark turn.
The former member of the band Dresses shared a lengthy story on social media on Monday in which she said "accepting that my best friend raped me seems insane."
Heller wrote that Martinez pressured her to have sex, despite Heller's insistence she had a boyfriend, convinced her to smoke marijuana, then allegedly forcefully performed oral sex and used a sex toy on her. She did not specify when the alleged incident took place.
"I never said yes. I said no, repeatedly," Heller wrote. "But she used her power over me, and broke me down. Just so there is no confusion, I was molested by my best friend."
Heller said the recent wave of women coming forward with their stories of harassment and assault gave her encouragement that her account would be believed.
"Girls can rape girls," she wrote. "Best friends can rape best friends."
In her statement, Martinez said both she and Heller were in pain and "dealing with our individual demons" at the time.
"She never said no to what we chose to do together," Martinez said. "And although we parted ways, I am sending her love and light always."
CNN has reached out to both Heller and Martinez for additional comment.
A rep for Martinez pointed CNN to the singer's statement on Twitter and said there was no additional comment at this time.
The filming for the second season of "Big Little Lies" has started, and some of the stars are stoking the excitement.Read More »
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry reveal wedding cake details
- Lena Dunham on life after her hysterectomy: 'I have ups and downs'
- Weinstein Company files for bankruptcy, nullifies employee NDAs
- District attorney who didn't prosecute Weinstein will be investigated
- 'Sex and the City' star Cynthia Nixon announces New York gubernatorial bid
- A first look at Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland
- Updated Light wintry mix Tuesday, turning to steadier snow Wednesday
- Updated DA formulating plan to bring Esterly back to Pennsylvania
- Updated Fire destroys garage in Weisenberg Township
- Updated Wanted man arrested after allegedly firing shots from stolen gun
- Uninvited guest arrested after trippy visit to North Whitehall home
- Driver charged in Allentown hit-and-run
- Life Lessons: Drugstores: Deal or no deal?
- Muhlenberg gives nod to several projects
- Per-phase fee payment benefits developers, township
- Analyst foresees hard-fought race for 6th District