(CNN) - Rapper Fredo Santana has died in Los Angeles, a family member and the Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Saturday. He was 27.
Santana, whose real name was Derrick Coleman, died at his residence in the Reseda neighborhood around 11 p.m. Friday, said Lt. David Smith, a spokesman for the coroner's office.
Smith said the autopsy for the Chicago-born Santana was pending.
In October, Santana posted on his verified Instagram account that he was being treated for liver and kidney failure.
Santana was the cousin of Chief Keef (real name Keith Cozart), the best known of the young generation of Chicago rappers to have emerged on the music scene in recent years.
Cozart's grandmother, Margaret Carter, told CNN on Saturday that Fredo Santana had been sick recently but had not discussed the illness much with his family.
He and his girlfriend had a baby boy last June, she said.
Chief Keef was distraught about his cousin's death and the two had big plans, she said.
"He told his cousin, we're not going to rob, we're not going to steal, I got a plan, and that was to make music," Margaret Cozart told CNN.
Chief Keef issued a short message about his cousin via his verified Twitter account Saturday afternoon, but has not yet responded to CNN's requests for comment.
CNN has reached out to Santana's record label for additional details about the rapper's death.
A former Playboy model who allegedly had a 10-month affair with President Donald Trump is suing the company that kept her original account from publication.Read More »
- Women in Bill O'Reilly defamation suit want settlement agreements made public
- Smithsonian moves Michelle Obama portrait due to 'high volume of visitors'
- Weinstein Company lifts NDAs. Will more victims come forward?
- K-pop stars to perform in North Korea in art troupe visit
- 'Big Little Lies' stars share behind-the-scenes photos of 2nd season
- Meghan Markle, Prince Harry reveal wedding cake details
- 4th winter storm this month to bring snow through Wednesday
- Updated Berks couple charged after dead baby found inside apartment
- Driver arrested after interstate chase through 4 counties
- Turnpike announces restrictions due to approaching storm
- Lehigh Valley Auto Show Preview Gala canceled
- Yuengling adds new beer to product portfolio
- Updated Winter storm warning for Berks through 8 p.m. Wednesday
- Updated Hospital expansion to create 38 new jobs in downtown Reading
- Updated Testimony: Funeral plans alerted authorities to child death
- Updated Spring means Rita's for some and snow shovels for others