NORTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Zoo is showing off a prickly new arrival.
The Zoo near Schnecksville in North Whitehall Township is now home to a baby porcupine -- also known as a "porcupette."
This one was born less than two months ago.
It's a prehensile-tailed porcupine.
It's the first one born at the zoo.
These porcupines are different from North American porcupines.
They're natives of Central and South America.
Their presence at the zoo is no accident.
"The population of prehensile-tailed porcupines in the wild is being threatened by the deforestation in the rain forests so the idea with the species survival program is to breed these animals in captivity," said Sheri Peters, Director of Conservation Education.
The baby's birth is part of a program that will reintroduce these porcupines to the wild.
It's unclear if the baby is a boy or a girl -- that's determined at 19 months of age.
A generation after the book was published and became a movie, "The Handmaid's Tale" has been turned into a jolting TV series, representing a huge step up in class for Hulu. Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel has already been politicized, but stands...Read More »
- Chasing 'dark skies' to focus on light pollution
- Former 'Bachelor' star arrested in deadly crash
- Scott Baio clarifies blaming Erin Moran's death on drug use
- Why teen mental health experts are focused on '13 Reasons Why'
- Christian Dior shares spike on $13 billion takeover bid
- Former press secretary doesn't have much sympathy for Spicer
- Updated Northampton DA to announce findings in baby's 2016 death at day care
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- Updated NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest
- Life Lessons: Grandparents get geeky
- Commission set to vote on New Jersey statehouse renovations