Life Lessons

Life Lessons: Easter dangers for pets

Life Lessons Easter dangers for pets

During the week of Easter, the Pet Poison Helpline receives a nearly 200 percent increase in calls concerning pet poisoning.

Learn how the simplest Easter goodies can be harmful, or even deadly to your cat or dog.

Everyone loves Easter egg hunts.

Kids find most of the colorful Easter eggs you hide, but what about those eggs that no one finds, and later your cat or dog does?

Boiled eggs go bad in two hours or less outside. Eating them can make your pet sick, and the shiny plastic eggs may give them intestinal problems or require surgery if swallowed.

Another danger are Easter lilies.

They're one of the most poisonous plants for pets, especially cats. Felines that eat the flower can die from kidney failure in less than two days.

The worst, though, are those chocolate bunnies.

The fat in chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats and dogs, and the stimulants can cause death.

If your pet eats or swallows something dangerous, contact your veterinarian immediately.

If your vet is closed, call an emergency vet center.

You can also contact the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

30°F

Clear

TONIGHT

22°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom