Since its debut in 1969, the Sesame Street characters have been household names for kids of all ages.
Rosemarie Truglio is the senior vice president for curriculum and content at Sesame Workshop. She says among many things, Sesame Street helps prepare children for school readiness.
"These are the underlying skills that help children learn," she said.
As part of Sesame Street's curriculum on self-regulation, storylines focus on Cookie Monster, the impulsive monster with a sweet tooth.
Waiting to eat a cookie is a tall order, but Cookie learns strategies to delay gratification.
Like distraction with a favorite activity, like singing. Pretending the cookie is something else, like a picture of shifting attention from the desirable object to something undesirable, like a smelly fish.
Science suggests the content could be having a desired effect. In a University of Iowa study, two groups of preschoolers were shown different videos. The group who watched a Cookie Monster video about waiting were able to wait four minutes longer than those who watched an unrelated Sesame Street video.
"Which is huge in the lives of preschoolers," Truglio said.
Maybe you can learn a lot from a monster.
In a new study, scientists looked at 816 teens over three years. They...Read More »
- Weather Cold, breezy but mostly sunny Sunday, with some slick spots in the morning
- Updated Lehigh Valley Fire damages several homes, structures in Wilson
- Weather Saturday's snow exceeds expectations
- Weather PHOTOS: The first snowfall of the season
- Berks Basketball fundraiser benefits charity that gives free haircuts to people with autism
- Southeastern PA Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- Lehigh Valley FBI assisted police with incident at Parkland High School
- Lehigh Valley Excitement and cheer fill the North Pole Express
- Hot baths can help you stay healthy
- Even without the buns, Trump's favorite fast-food meal is a diet-buster
- Health Beat: ICD and exercise: New advice
- How does your brain tell your body to stop?
- Avocados: History of unlikely healthy food craze
- After mistakenly declaring newborn dead, New Delhi hospital loses license
- 10 foods that can make you grumpy
- Justice Dept. investigating use of fetal tissue
- Health Beat: NEC prevention: Mom's own milk is liquid gold