Perseverance is necessary for discovering new ideas. It enables us to take risks, learn from failures and then try again.
Research even suggests it is a valuable skill for babies, since it may help academically later in life. But how can parents teach this trait to their kids?
Developmental psychologists at MIT recruited 102 babies between the ages of 13 to 18 months. As babies watched, researchers tried to retrieve a toy from a container and detach a key chain from a carabiner.
In front of some babies, they completed the task easily and quickly, while they struggled to complete the tasks in front of other babies.
Then all the babies were given a toy with a button that didn't work. The babies who had seen the researchers struggling with their own objects pushed the button twice as many times as those who had seen the researchers succeed effortlessly.
So key lesson: If adults don't quit, it may help their kids build grit.
Friends are a big deal in high school and new research shows the type of...Read More »
Teachers use small groups to help kids learn new concepts in class, but...Read More »
- Southeastern PA Jury finds Cosby guilty on all counts
- Southeastern PA DA praises courageous women who came forward in Cosby retrial
- Updated Berks Carpenter shares up $3.11 after fiscal 2018 3Q report
- Updated Positive Parenting Positive Parenting: Dads create preschool success
- Updated Southeastern PA Woman dies in Bush House Hotel fire, officials investigate
- Updated Berks 2 men sought in armed robbery of Dollar General in Reading
- Updated Health Beat Health Beat: Brain surgery made easier for doctors, patients
- Lehigh Valley Train derails in Lower Mount Bethel Township
- Signs of ADHD can be different in girls
- Autism affects 1 in 59 children in US, CDC says
- Woman gives birth at Waffle House, site of Tennessee shooting
- The health benefits of a colorful life
- Curbing salt intake could add years to your life
- Ronny Jackson withdraws as VA secretary nominee
- Reading School Board revising district's tobacco policy
- Advocates counter abstinence-only push with Facebook Live sex ed
- 10 most climate-damaging foods