Jennifer Campbell puts high priority on time with her children: 5-year-old Amy, 3-year-old Thomas and newborn Jack.
"Nurturing them in a way that they can trust that I'm there for them when they need me is the biggest thing I can do for them for the long road," Campbell said.
Child psychiatrist Joan Luby says nurturing kids at the right time has a positive impact on brain development.
"It's as essential as your child getting vitamins and nutrients," Luby said.
Luby looked at brain scans of children from preschool through early adolescence and found children who were nurtured in preschool had a significantly larger hippocampus at school age than kids with less-supportive parents.
"It really sort of shows us that there's a key ingredient toward growing healthy children," Luby said.
The preschool period is a very sensitive time. Researchers say this is when a loving nurturing relationship with a child, has the most impact, even more so than later in childhood. But they add it's never too late to start.
"They really need the support, attention, validation, guidance from their parents," Luby said.
Luby says: Put yourself in your child's shoes, think about what their life is like and empathize. Ask them what they're worried about. Ask how they feel about themselves and really listen to what they say.
Campbell sets time aside every day to do just that.
"I hope that they have that strength and self-confidence to do their own thing and find their own way," Campbell said.
Babies typically speak their first words by around 12 months of age. But...Read More »
Child psychiatrist Joan Luby says nurturing kids at the right time has a...Read More »
New research suggests stirring your child's passion will make them more...Read More »
- Weather A more humid day with showers early, some t-storms late, and dry weather in between
- Updated Southeastern PA Police seek suspects who allegedly attempted to kidnap 2 juvenile girls in Bucks County
- Berks Crews fight fire at Berks County recycling plant
- Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Governor Wolf signs 2018-19 budget
- Updated 69News at Sunrise 2017 Great Allentown Fair queen talks with 69 News
- 69News at Sunrise Blue Mountain offering many activities this summer
- Lehigh Valley 30 to more than 600 years: Pawlowski sentencing guidelines revealed
- Pennsylvania Governor OKs school safety hotline, grants bill
- White House donates canceled picnic food to Walter Reed
- Health Beat: High-tech fall alert: MyNotifi
- House approves massive opioids legislation
- Moving lump on woman's face turns out to be parasitic worm
- What's average age when kids get social media account?
- More than 30 children become sick at Florida summer camp
- California ICE detainee diagnosed with chickenpox
- Immigrant detainee has chickenpox
- 10 most fattening foods of summer