ORLANDO, Fla. (Ivanhoe Newswire) - You’ve probably heard the phrase “Breast is Best” when it comes to feeding a baby and studies have shown breastfeeding does in fact offer health benefits, including a lower risk for obesity. But now, research offers a new clue as to why this link exists.
Bottle or breast? You’ve probably heard that “Breast is Best” for your baby, but why?
Turns out, it might be more than just the milk that benefits your little bundle. Childhood obesity researchers studied babies for six years to find out why breastfed babies became healthier kids. The study found that moms who breastfeed tend to give their babies and children healthier foods later in life. Formula-fed babies consumed more sugar-sweetened drinks and fewer fruits and veggies at age six than breastfed babies. Infants who ate more junk food, such as french fries and sweet desserts, were more likely to be overweight children. So parents, the milk and the foods you give your baby now may influence your child’s own food choices in the future.
Breastfeeding has also been linked to a lower risk of allergies, asthma, ear infections, and hospitalizations. Some studies show breastfed babies may also have higher IQ scores in later childhood.
Contributors to this news report include: Cyndy McGrath, Supervising Producer; Julie Marks, Field Producer; Milvionne Chery, Assistant Producer; Roque Correa, Editor.
Produced by Child Trends News Service in partnership with Ivanhoe Broadcast News and funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
Reading, writing and arithmetic. Strong skills in the three R's used to...Read More »
- Weather Rain finally wraps up early this afternoon
- Updated Berks Water main breaks in Reading, closes section of North Eighth Street
- Lehigh Valley Parkland schools to reopen Monday after bus garage fire
- Lehigh Valley Indivisible Berks Holds Rally in Support of Unions in Preparation of Major Supreme Court Case
- Updated Southeastern PA Car crashes in Bucks County
- Lehigh Valley Young musicians show talents at Lehigh Valley Mall
- News HUD awards Puerto Rico $1.5 billion for hurricane recovery efforts
- Lehigh Valley Broadway veteran launching children's chorus in Allentown
- Health Beat: Caloric restriction is a win-win
- Plastic straw makers brace for bans
- Flu sending fewer to doctor's office, but season 'not over yet'
- Trump's language on mental health is harmful, experts say
- New findings paint picture of Neanderthals as artists
- Multistate salmonella outbreak tied to chicken salad
- House GOP gears up for hearings on bipartisan opioid crisis legislation
- Health Beat: Feeling SAD? There's a treatment for that
- What role does genetics play in opioid addiction?