If you love traditional Italian food, Louie's in Allentown has been serving up hearty meals since 1958.
Owner Louie Bellietieri joined us in the kitchen to share his specialties, including his famous sauce.
LOUIE'S TRADITIONAL LASAGNA
We use a 9x13 pan to make our lasagna then we let it chill and slice it into portions showing all the layers. We top it with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake for service. Makes 16 portions.
You can easily adjust the portions... it is equal parts, sausage, ricotta and meatball mix in the layers.
• Use one pasta sheet on the bottom of the pan and then one sheet on each end of the pan to "wrap" the lasagna.
• Mix 3 lbs. of ground (precooked) Louie's bulk sausage with Louie's Tomato Sauce for consistency. Layer on top of pasta sheet.
• Add a layer of pasta on top.
• Season 3 lbs. Ricotta cheese with sugar, salt and pepper and layer on top of pasta sheet
• Add another layer of pasta
• Mix 3# lbs. of Louie's Meat Ball Mix – Veal, Pork and Beef, seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic are baked in a layer and then mixed with tomato sauce for consistency.
• Layer and press firmly.
• Wrap edges in and add one last layer of pasta.
• Wrap pan in plastic and quick freeze.
• Cut and portion.
• Shells are filled with 2 Tbsp of seasoned ricotta mixture… see above and topped with 1 Tbsp of mozzarella cheese.
• Baked with Louie's Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese
Allentown, PA 18102