By Steve Graham, Networx

Asbestos once seemed like a dream. The fire retardant insulator is versatile and ideal for various home, auto, and industrial products. However, health research found more of a nightmare. Asbestos is full of microscopic fibers that can break down and cause serious health problems when inhaled.

Undisturbed, untouched asbestos should not pose problems, but the material is a hazard during remodeling or if damaged. Many asbestos products should be carefully covered or removed for your family's safety and certainly before trying to sell your house.