Bucks County is continuing extensive farmland preservation efforts throughout the County. The Bucks County Commissioners approved the purchase of two large properties in the county to assist in farmland preservation. The first property is located in Durham Township and the second is located in Buckingham Township.
The first property is a request from the Bucks County Agricultural Land Preservation Program. The property is over 151 acres of farmland owned by Patricia Cook in Durham Township. The total purchase price of the property is $584,353, of which the County will be responsible for approximately 40% equaling $233,741.20. The remaining 60%, or $350,611.80 of the cost will be coming from the state. According to Agricultural Land Preservation Representatives, more than 80 acres of the soil on the property is labeled Class 2 Soil, which is some of the best soil in the state. Cook plans on contacting Delaware Valley College to request some college students to work on this property for experimental farming purposes as an addition to classwork.
The second property is a request from the Municipal Open Space Program. The Open Space Program is requesting a 64.1858-acre easement on a grant for this property from the Commissioners. The total acreage of the property is over 300 acres. The total appraised value of the property is $1.3 million, of which the County will be responsible for 32% or approximately $427,053. Buckingham Township will be responsible for $258,000 of the total purchase price of the property.
Including the property in Durham Township, the Bucks County Agricultural Preservation Program will be responsible for 156 farms. With the addition of the farm in Buckingham Township, over 600 acres in the Township will be under the umbrella of the Open Space Program.
April is Autism Awareness Month and a Bucks County woman wants to prove those on the spectrum can succeed in the business world.Read More »
- Pottstown School District approves new superintendent
- State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Police officers help deliver baby on side of road
- 1808 farmhouse sales raise money for hospital
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Updated Crews respond to crash near Dorney Park
- Jury to begin weighing sentence for police ambush killer
- Berks County officials continue to discuss partnership with ICE
- Multi-Purpose skatepark in the works in Reading
- Reading Planning Commission moves forward on subdivision of Fromm Electric
- Hanover Township hears Turkey Hill liquor license request
- Airport authority scrambling to handle more cargo traffic
- Life Lessons: Be Strong: Anti-bullying phone app
- A little rain this morning; otherwise mostly cloudy and turning milder today
- A career (and a giraffe) is born