Parkland High School grad and former Hell's Kitchen contestant Jessica Lewis joined 69 News at Sunrise with some of her unique creations.
Rustic Crab Hash
1 Can Lump Crab
12 fingerling potatoes
1 bunch fresh basil chopped
1 bunch fresh thyme chopped
1 bunch fresh oregano chopped
1. Rinse potatoes. Place potatoes in a bowl, add olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper, mix. Place potatoes on a sheet tray and roast at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until easily pierced by fork and skin is crisp & lightly browned. Keeping the skins on, smash fingerlings with a fork, do not mash.
2. Once potatoes are slightly cooled add lump crab, chopped herbs, 1/4 c. olive oil, 1 tsp. salt and pepper. Mix together.
3. Form balls out of mix and set aside.
4. Add 1 Tablespoon of canola oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter to pan. Heat saute pan to med-high, add crabcake balls to pan and gently push down to flatten. 2 minutes of each side and remove from pan. Should be browned on each side.
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup sherry vinegar
1. Using a peeler, remove orange rind. Remove any white from rind with paring knife, this part is bitter. Cut rind, chiffonade orange rind. Save orange.
2. In a pan using med-high heat, add sherry vinegar, sugar, squeeze orange into pan, and chiffonade rind. Reduce until light syrup consistency.
3. This gets drizzled over crabcakes at the end.
Grilled Romaine and tomato salsa
1 head of romaine lettuce
cherry tomatoes (red, yellow or heirloom)
red bell pepper
1 bunch parsley chopped
1. Rinse and dry romaine. Brush romaine with olive oil & Garlic mixture. Set romaine leaves on grill on each side for a few seconds until slightly wilted and you have char marks. Remove from grill, set aside.
2. Roast red pepper whole, turn to char on all sides. Remove from grill, place in bowl and plastic wrap overtop. Let rest for 10 minutes. Peel skin from red pepper, remove inside (seeds and ribs), mince.
3. Slice cherry tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds.
4. In a bowl mix chopped roasted red pepper, tomato, parsley, 1/4 c. olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper.