ALLENTOWN, Pa. -
Aspiring student chefs had a chance to cook with the pros at the annual SkillsUSA Culinary Challenge.
Tuesday, on 69 at Sunrise, we introduced you to some of the winners...and winning recipes!
Student Chefs Kiersten Phillips and Roberto Rodriguez and Tim McGinnis, a Culinary Arts teacher from Upper Bucks County Technical School, joined WFMZ's Eve Russo in the kitchen to tell us more.
Mexican Chorizo Albondigas
adapted from the Chorizo Sausage recipe in Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman
2 1/2 pounds diced pork shoulder or ground pork
4 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
If grinding your own meat:
Keeping the meat cold, so the fat does not begin to melt and negatively affect the consistency.
Place all grinder parts in the freezer while you prepare the meat.
Cut meat into 1-inch chunks.
Toss with all ingredients vinegar. Chill in the refrigerator.
Assemble grinder. Place bowl under the grinder inside a bowl of ice.
Grind the seasoned meat once through the grinder with a medium die.
Pour chilled vinegar over ground meat. Stir to combine.
If using pre-ground pork
Stir all ingredients together
Cook up a small portion of the chorizo to ensure the seasonings are as you desire.
Roll into 1 oz meatballs or larger if desired.
The Super Bowl is just a few weeks away, but there's a different kind of Souper Bowl next weekend in Bethlehem.Read More »
- Behind the Scenes: Disney on Ice brings 'Frozen' to the PPL Center
- Life Lessons: Family money letters
- Life Lessons: We Care Bears Project
- Girl Scouts set for cookie-selling season
- Cost saving ways to warm your home in the winter
- Life Lessons: Protein diet done right
- 11-year US marshal identified as officer slain in Harrisburg
- Police officer surrenders on charges in hit-and-run crash
- New Coroner called to scene of Upper Mount Bethel crash
- Wilson board: Proposed contract meets union's 'top priority'
- Homeless man arrested in rash of robberies in Reading
- Berks ARL taking steps to become 'no-kill' animal shelter
- Winter weather-related crashes keep collision shops busy
- Project 'Keep Hellertown Warm' helps those in need
- Funding re-examined after Da Vinci pulls aquarium
- Updated Eagles impact local economy