A family who has a special mission to help out special needs dogs joined us on 69 News at Sunrise: Weekend Edition.
John Bernhart, his granddaughter, Angel and son, Michael of New Tripoli were on the set with dogs, Winston and Odo.
Their mission started when Michael, who has cerebral palsy, adopted a dog, Hayley, who became his service dog. Sadly, Hayley died three years ago.
This inspired them to adopt dogs in similar situations to Michael.
The family picks up and transports puppy mill dogs from Ohio to rescue groups in upstate New York. They also go to Maryland and take dogs to an advanced animal hospital.
John has released a CD, "The Wonder of Dogs," to raise money for dog rescue organizations.
The CD can be purchased at Living Things Pet Supply Store on Route 309 or online on iTunes and CD Baby. All proceeds go to dog rescue organizations.
For more information check out their Facebook page, Hayley & Odo.
A new study from the University of Louisville has confirmed that women's high stress levels reduce their probability of conception by up to 45 percent.Read More »
- Father-daughter duo makes Thanksgiving meals for families in need
- Life Lessons: Extending life
- Life Lessons: Dress for success
- Music Monday: James Supra/Sarah Ayers Band
- Life Lessons: Repetitive injuries
- Helpful hints for cooking Thanksgiving dinner
- Remains of final two victims from Barclay Friends fire found
- Many enjoy hot meal with side of Thanksgiving fellowship
- Updated Person wounded by gunfire in northwest Reading
- Updated Health Beat: Isolated limb infusion saves mom, baby
- Lines form early for Thanksgiving, Black Friday deals
- Christmas at FirstEnergy Stadium ready for season debut
- Berks well-represented in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Woman raises more than $50K for homeless man who helped her
- Life Lessons: Is stress the reason you can't conceive?
- Be aware this holiday shopping season