A family who has a special mission to help out special needs dogs joined us on 69 News at Sunrise: Weekend Edition.
John Bernhart, his granddaughter, Angel and son, Michael of New Tripoli were on the set with dogs, Winston and Odo.
Their mission started when Michael, who has cerebral palsy, adopted a dog, Hayley, who became his service dog. Sadly, Hayley died three years ago.
This inspired them to adopt dogs in similar situations to Michael.
The family picks up and transports puppy mill dogs from Ohio to rescue groups in upstate New York. They also go to Maryland and take dogs to an advanced animal hospital.
John has released a CD, "The Wonder of Dogs," to raise money for dog rescue organizations.
The CD can be purchased at Living Things Pet Supply Store on Route 309 or online on iTunes and CD Baby. All proceeds go to dog rescue organizations.
For more information check out their Facebook page, Hayley & Odo.
- Armed student charged in lockdown of Daniel Boone HS
- Driver trying to park crashes SUV through convenience store
- Updated Allentown man gets 5-10 years prison for library bathroom sex assault
- New Congressman Charlie Dent's prominence grows in Washington
- Animal welfare program in Berks looks for homes for feral cats
- Pa. health rankings: How does your county compare?
- Stroudsburg diner wants people to unplug
- Vietnam Memorial Wall dedicated in Stroudsburg
- Allentown police hope new app will help cut down on crime
- Pa. Supreme Court sides with firefighters over Allentown in staffing dispute