National Night Out was a big draw in Lower Alsace Township with residents even getting a lesson in fire safety they'll never forget.

The Mount Penn Fire Company lit a model living room on fire at the event Tuesday night.

The room was completely destroyed in less than four minutes and officials say they're trying to show people why it's important to have smoke detectors.

"You need that early notification of a smoke alarm, multiple smoke alarms in your house so that you can get that notification that you can get your family together and get out," said Chief Timothy Waldman.

National Night Out is held every year to help police, firefighters and other local officials connect with the community.