Carbon County emergency crews rescue train operators sickened by fumes
A stretch of Route 209 was shut down in Carbon County as emergency crews came to the rescue of train operators who were sickened by smoke pouring out of a malfunctioning engine, according to crews at the scene.
Emergency officials say crews were called out around 1 a.m. Sunday for a report of an obnoxious odor coming from a passing train.
Officials say they were concerned over the possibility of hazardous materials being discharged, so a stretch of Route 209 was shut down in the area of Jim Thorpe, Mahoning Township and Lehighton.
Officials say it was determined the smell was coming from a smoking engine. The operators were sickened and transported to the hospital by ambulance, police said.
There is no word on the operators' conditions.
Officials say the incident lasted about two hours.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.