Toddler swallows 42 fridge magnets

Russian boy left alone for a matter of minutes

Published: Feb 15 2013 10:33:00 AM EST   Updated On: Feb 16 2013 12:53:30 AM EST
X-Ray file photo

A toddler in Russia is recovering after swallowing 42 fridge magnets in a matter of minutes.

The boy's mother panicked when she noticed all the magnets from the family's refrigerator were gone after leaving her 16-month-old son alone for a short period of time, The Daily Mail reported.

She rushed him to a local clinic, where a scan revealed dozens of small, round magnets in his abdomen.

Doctors at a hospital near the family's home in Chelyabinsk performed emergency surgery to remove the magnets.

"Over the years, I had to take a variety of foreign bodies including magnets from young patients," Chief pediatric surgeon Nikolay Rostovtsev told The Daily Mail. "Once I removed about 20 of them, but this incident of our little patient has broken all records."

The boy is expected to make a full recovery.