COLEBROOKDALE TWP., Pa. - Fire destroyed one home and damaged another in Berks County on Friday.
"I just looked out and billows of black smoke was just coming up from the window," said neighbor Megan Singletary. "I was just looking out and saw smoke."
Firefighters were dispatched around 9 a.m. to 2 Alans Lane in Colebrookdale Township. The home is in a development just off Route 73, near Boyertown.
"Police arrived first, stated that the house was heavy black smoke, everybody was out, evacuated," said Jeff Bealer, the public information officer for Boyertown Area Fire and Rescue. "The house was fully involved."
Fire officials quickly struck a second alarm, summoning additional manpower to the scene.
"They were told it (the fire) was compromising the structure next to it, and as you can see from pictures, that house was starting to go up in fire as well," Bealer told WFMZ's Jim Vasil. "They went to a second alarm, made sure there was enough crew, apparatus to make sure we saved that structure."
One person was home at the time, but was able to escape without injury, officials said. Firefighters also rescued a cat from the home.
Bealer said the home's location presented some challenges for firefighters.
"This is pretty far back in off the road," he said. "The apparatus is wide.. There's [fire] trucks all over the road here, so it's a potential problem... Luckily, we didn't have snow or cars were further out in the street."
Investigators said they determined the fire started in a front bedroom, with the cause being electrical in nature.
- Federal judges to hear Pennsylvania district map challenge
- Students slime principal as reward for reaching reading goal
- General Heath's Antiques in Adamstown set to close
- Craft beer-brewing a booming business in Berks, beyond
- Governor Mifflin parents sound off about safety concerns
- Pothole-riddled road causes problems for Centre residents
- Updated Man arrested for robbing Allentown Dominoes at gunpoint
- Former Reading mayor Spencer's trial delayed
- Rainy weather continues this weekend
- Millions of BB&T customers affected by outage
- Updated Some Poconos students to relocate Wednesday due to blessing ceremony featuring AR-15s
- Updated Joe Paterno movie coming to HBO
- Monster Jam revs and rocks the PPL this weekend
- New Jim-Thorpe one-dollar coins selling out fast
- Updated Degas painting missing for 9 years found outside Paris
- Florida governor speaks out on Parkland shooting