WYOMISSING, Pa. - Foodies across Berks County will be happy to learn that three new restaurants are headed to Wyomissing.
"I think it's a really good move," said local shopper Jeremy Reed.
"It's something for everybody," said Fred Levering, president, Wyomissing Borough Council.
Levering said council members approved the pitch unanimously. A final plan is in the works and should be complete by next month, he said.
"We're quite pleased. We like to think that we have the primary retail centers for the county here and this just enhances that," said Levering.
In addition to bringing diners to the area, Levering estimates the new chain restaurants will create close to 300 jobs.
But with that addition, some local shoppers said they fear the casual-dining eateries could hurt some of the smaller, family-owned competitors.
"Sad, because it's slowly ending the 'mom and pop' pizza places and the little 'mom and pop' shops around," said Gail Madden.
Still, she and many others told 69 News they're looking forward to trying something new.
"I'm really happy to see those three coming actually," said Madden.
"That sounds good. I'm definitely interested in that," said Reed.
In addition to the new restaurants, Levering said mall developers also plan to add a new, yet-to-be-determined retail store across the street, next to the AC Moore store in the Berkshire Mall West complex.
Rescue crews in Berks County were pressed into action after an SUV and a tractor trailer collided Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- Bowl-O-Rama owners pinned in legal battle
- Exeter man charged in alleged check fraud scheme
- Reading City Council awards towing contract
- Leibrandt, Pullin pace Reading in series opener at Harrisburg
- Royals' season ends in Game 6 of first round series
- Updated Day care owner charged in baby's 2016 death, DA says
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Driver trapped when SUV, tractor trailer collide in Maidencreek
- Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest