SPRING TWP., Pa. - The Reading Police Department's bomb squad was pressed into action Friday.
The team's response was triggered by the discovery of a suitcase on the parking lot of Sunoco Logistics in Spring Township.
A FedEx driver making a delivery to the facility on Fritztown Road shortly before 10 a.m. noticed the suitcase and thought its location in the middle of the lot to be suspicious, police said.
No one at Sunoco Logistics recognized the suitcase, so the company called police, who responded and found no evidence of anything unusual about the suitcase.
Out of an abundance of caution, however, police said they called in the RPD bomb squad, which used its robot, armed with a water cannon, to blow apart the suitcase and safely destroy any possible explosives inside.
The suitcase, however, contained only clothing, police said.
The Sunoco Logistics facility serves as a regional office for the company as well as the headquarters for its Mariner East 2 pipeline project.
It's not yet officially winter, and we're already on the third snowfall in the region in a week's time.Read More »
- PHOTOS: Ribbon cutting ceremony on Kenhorst Boulevard
- Babysitter charged in sexual assault of 2 young children
- Judge dismisses charges against attempted homicide suspect
- Bell Alley Pretzel saved; 'Now, I can do what I love'
- Time to hit slopes at Bear Creek Mountain Resort
- Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Chilly, dry Sunday with a bit of wintry mix possible overnight
- Allentown man hit, killed by car while running across I-78
- Police: Armed man barricades himself inside Quakertown home
- Community comes together to support Lukens family
- Mother of fallen Berks serviceman speaks at Wreaths Across America
- Updated Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Updated Christmas tree toss for charity
- Catasauqua students shop with an airport cop
- Updated Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend
- Updated 2 charged in ongoing burglary investigation