READING, Pa. - The Reading Fightin Phils (33-36) got a solid outing from their pitching staff but Will Roberts of Akron (43-30) tossed his longest outing of the season to help lead the RubberDucks to a 3-2 win and sweep of Reading.
Carlos Alonso put the Fightin Phils on the scoreboard first for the first time in the series as he hit a two-run home run off starter Will Roberts in the bottom of the 3rd inning to give Reading a 2-0 lead. Peter Lavin singled before Alonso and the home run by Alonso was his seventh on the season.
Bryan LaHair cut the Fightins lead in half 2-1 in the top of the 4th inning as he hit a solo home run off Severino Gonzalez. The home run by LaHair was his third of the season. Akron captured the lead off Gonzalez and the Fightins in the top of the 5th inning as Francisco Lindor hit a two-run double to give the RubberDucks a 3-2 lead.
Severino Gonzalez allowed three runs in 5 1/3 innings off 8 hits with one walk and four strikeouts. Matt Hoffman pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of Gonzalez as he recorded three strikeouts while giving up one hit and one walk. Mike Nesseth tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief as he recorded two strikeouts.
Will Roberts of Akron pitched his longest outing of the season as he logged eight innings and allowed two runs off four hits with seven strikeouts. Shawn Armstrong (10) got the save as he struck out one despite giving up two hits in the bottom of the 9th inning.
Roberts and Armstrong retired 18 of the final 20 batters in the game for the Fightin Phils since the two-run home run by Carlos Alonso int he bottom of the 3rd inning.
The Fightin Phils will begin a six-game road trip in New Britain, Connecticut tomorrow night as they will play three games with the New Britain Rock Cats. Hoby Milner (5-3, 3.49 ERA) will be making the start for Reading. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 pm.
Courtesy Reading Fightin Phils.
- Suspect arrested in fatal shooting in Palmer Township
- Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Woman identified in Allentown hit-and-run
- Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- DOE rolls back transgender bathroom protections
- Easton 20-year plan envisioned
- Taxpayers' cost for Chris Christie security detail tops $2M
- Dunkin' Donuts helping to 'roast' hunger in Berks
- Building community by building birdhouses