READING, Pa. - Jesse Biddle and the Fightin Phils (33-35) couldn't overcome three solo home runs by the Akron RubberDucks (42-30) as they lost 4-2 on Wednesday night. Albert Cartwright extended his hitting streak to 10 games in the bottom of the 9th inning with a RBI single off reliever Tyler Sturdevant.
Akron took an early lead for the second straight night as Joe Wendle hit a RBI double off Jesse Biddle to give the RubberDucks a 1-0 lead. Tyler Naquin scored on the hit after leading off the game with a walk and moving to second base on a throwing error by Biddle. Jake Lowery hit his first home run of the season off Biddle in the top of the 2nd inning with two outs to give Akron a 2-0 lead.
RubberDucks starter Joseph Colon had retired 14 of out 15 batters he faced until Zach Collier hit his first home run of the season to put Reading on the board to cut the lead in half, 2-1. Anthony Gallas hit a solo home off Biddle in the top of the 6th inning to give Akron a 3-1 lead. The home run by Gallas was just the fourth hit of the game given up by Biddle.
Peter Lavin hit his second double of the night, a RBI hit off Colon in the bottom of the 6th inning to put the Fightins within one run 3-2 as Albert Cartwright scored on the hit.
Jesse Biddle tossed seven innings as he allowed three runs off four hits with three walks and give strikeouts.
Akron continued with the long ball as Francisco Lindor hit a solo home run off Colton Murray in the top of the 8th inning to extend the lead to 4-2. The home run was the third of the game by the RubberDucks. Joseph Colon pitched eight innings for Akron as he allowed two runs off nine hits with two strikeouts.
Colton Murray threw two innings in relief of Biddle. He allowed one hit and run with three strikeouts.
The Fightin Phils and Akron RubberDucks wrap up their series tomorrow night at 7:05 pm at FirstEnergy Stadium. Reading will have right-hander Severino Gonzalez (4-7, 5.07 ERA) on the mound against Akron right-hander Will Roberts (6-7, 3.82 ERA).
Courtesy Reading Fightin Phils.
- 2.3 magnitude earthquake hits Lancaster County
- Local libraries fight to survive budget cuts
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Legendary coach honored at Kutztown Area High School
- Boyertown drops Pope John Paul II in PAC baseball tilt
- Police say couple had guns, thousands of dollars of drugs
- Trial begins for accused getaway driver in 2015 killing spree
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Updated Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday
- Street closures scheduled for downtown Allentown this week
- Pet owners learn animal CPR to help their furry friends
- Life Lessons: 3 Jars
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22