EXETER TWP., Pa. - For most of his 87 years, Albert Boscov has been a champion of the communities where his department store company does business. Now, he's thanking the many people in those communities who are rallying behind him in his fight against late-stage cancer.
Boscov's has posted a message on its Facebook page from the Berks County-based chain's chairman:
My friends on Facebook,
I've been amazed at the amount of wonderful notes that you've sent and I know I don't deserve them, but I certainly enjoyed them. You're a wonderful group of people that have been part of my family for 87 years and I'm most proud of all of you.
Boscov disclosed on February 1 that he had been diagnosed with late-stage cancer. Since then, thousands of people have taken to Facebook to share messages of love and support with him and his family.
"Only a humble man would say that he doesn't deserve the notes that have been sent to him," said one Facebook commenter. "He has impacted so many people, the number is staggering."
"Such an amazing man with such a huge heart! Always looking at what he can do to better others," another commenter posted. "We need a lot more people like Mr. Boscov in the world."
The robbery of a bank in Berks County put a pair of nearby schools on lockdown Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Police: Masked robber pistol-whips convenience store clerk
- GoFundMe page created to help couple who lost home to fire
- Teacher gets probation for indecent contact with student
- Smucker: New congressional map result of 'judicial activism'
- Truck hauling human waste goes off road near Boyertown
- Months-long bridge project closes Blacksmith Road in Amity
- Updated Bank robbed, pair of Wilson schools put on lockdown
- Street gang believed to be involved in ESU stabbing
- Updated Teacher gets probation for indecent contact with student
- Updated Early end Tuesday to testimony in Allentown pay-to-play trial
- Updated Allentown council wants answers on city's recent malware attack
- Updated Health Beat: Rib plating repairs crushed chest
- Updated Police: Masked robber pistol-whips convenience store clerk
- Updated GoFundMe page created to help couple who lost home to fire
- 2-alarm fire destroys home in remote area of eastern Berks
- Safety bill requires metal detectors, armed guards in schools