EXETER TWP., Pa. - As chairman and chief executive officer of the department store chain that bears his family's name, Al Boscov is a busy man. But he's never too busy to spend some time with children.
Boscov sat down Wednesday morning with children in the auditorium of his flagship department store in Exeter Township to read them some books.
The hour-long story time was part of "Readapalooza Week" and the Ready. Set. READ! initiative in Berks County.
Led by the United Way of Berks County, the initiative is dedicated to promoting reading proficiency and encouraging children to become better readers.
A simultaneous event was held at the Glenside Housing Community Center in Reading.
On Thursday, everyone is encouraged to "Drop Everything and Read!" The idea, organizers said, is simple: choose a 15-minute block of time, drop what you're doing and read a book of your choice for 15 minutes. You're then invited to post a photo on the initiative's Facebook page.
Barnes & Noble will host a story time on Friday from 11 a.m. until noon. Pa. Sen. Judy Schwank and Pastor Steve Ohnsman, of Calvary U.C.C., will be among the guest readers.
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies