READING, Pa. - Zeke Cole, an Albright College chemistry major, has been named a 2013 Goldwater Scholar by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program, the school announced Tuesday.
Cole, a member of Albright's Class of 2014 from Lebanon, earned the prestigious honor for his work with Christopher R. Graves, an assistant professor of chemistry and biochemistry, and for displaying overall academic excellence, school officials said.
Cole and Graves's work focuses on the preparation of novel aluminum complexes that display redox-activity. The complexes will ultimately serve as catalysts for small molecule transformations, offering a green-chemical alternative to precious metal systems, officials said.
In addition to presenting their research at a number of regional gatherings, Cole and Graves delivered a poster session at the 2012 national conference of the American Chemical Society, held in Philadelphia.
"I like being in the laboratory and expanding scientific knowledge," Cole said. "With chemistry, you can consider everyday items at their simplest forms, down to protons, electrons and neutrons, and explain their properties through these elemental building blocks."
The Goldwater Scholars program awards scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in science, mathematics and engineering. The scholarships cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 per year.
Cole's goal is to earn a Ph.D. and ultimately obtain a position teaching and researching inorganic chemistry at the university level.
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- A place of healing for veterans
- Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade
- 'Taps' echoes over Bethlehem