READING - Alvernia University (23-10) posted double digit runs for the second time in three days in a 14-8 win over #21 Moravian College (26-8) Wednesday afternoon in non-conference baseball action at Angelica Park.
Moravian put a pair of runs on the board in the first inning, but Alvernia answered right back with four in the home half of the first. The offenses continued to click with Moravian coming back with two runs in the second to tie the score at 4-4 after an inning and a half.
Both teams went scoreless in their next at-bats and Alvernia took control with a 5-run third.
Moravian wouldn't go quietly. The Greyhounds answered the Crusaders five with three of their own in the top of the fourth, but Alvernia stayed hot with two in the fourth and three more in the fifth.
Moravian got a run in the eighth, but it only pulled them within six, 14-8, with an inning to go.
Alvernia returns to conference play for the final series of the regular season on Friday hosting Arcadia. The Crusaders could finish first in the league if they can catch Widener which sits one game ahead with three to go.
The Commonwealth Championships will be contested starting next Thursday in a 4-team double-eliminate tournament at Santander Stadium in York.
"We lost it all," says woman whose home was destroyed. "No words can describe it. It's gone. It's gone."Read More »
- National Weather Service assessing Pennsylvania storm damage
- Millersville women edge Kutztown in PSAC Tournament opener
- Middletown's buzzer-beater sinks Berks Catholic in District 3 semis
- Muhlenberg, DeSales and Albright women headed to NCAA Tournament
- Neighbor of man shot by police: 'Fear for my family'
- Bucknell's Nana Foulland earns Patriot League Player of the Year honors
- Hazmat situation reported in Northampton County
- Police investigating string of cell phone store robberies across the region
- Bill Cosby case to stay in Montco, be decided by outside jury
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Anti-Semitic threats across Pennsylvania provoke response
- Man arrested for robbing Easton convenience store
- Pending home sales down nationally, but up in the Lehigh Valley
- Child sex abuse trial of former councilman gets underway
- Man pleads guilty in Stockertown gun club case
- Former Montana West building sold