READING, Pa. - A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in the shooting of a man on a playground in Reading.
Anthony Russell was behind bars Monday on adult charges of attempted first degree murder, aggravated and simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and possession of a firearm by a minor.
Russell was with two other people on the 2nd and Oley streets playground last Tuesday night when they began to argue with someone, police said. Russell then pulled out a gun and shot the person in his left leg, according to court documents.
A person who was with the victim at the time of the shooting gave police a detailed description of the gunman, according to court documents.
The same witness spotted Russell sitting at a bus stop at North 5th and Spring streets Saturday afternoon and called police, according to court documents.
Russell, identified as the suspect, was arrested about a half-hour later in the 700 block of Spring Street and committed to the Berks County Jail on $500,000 bail. He's due in court for a preliminary hearing on Nov. 8.
A judge has denied an emergency request to reopen a beloved bowling alley in Berks County.Read More »
- Leibrandt, Pullin pace Reading in series opener at Harrisburg
- Royals season ends in Game 6 of first round series
- Exeter man charged in alleged check fraud scheme
- Last day for Bowl-O-Rama? 'It'll be a shame'
- Penn State Health St. Joseph hires new financial chief
- Penske Truck Leasing unveils mobile app for customers
- Fire destroys home in Schuylkill Township
- Basking Ridge, N.J. says goodbye to an old friend
- Shenandoah Sentinel creator has big plans
- Berks judge hears arguments on closing of Bowl-O-Rama
- Police officers help deliver baby on side of road
- Human rights activist tortured in Pakistan shares struggle through art
- 1808 farmhouse sales raise money for hospital
- Eric Frein's father, mother testify during penalty phase
- Stack goes to work without police escort; Wolf mum on reason
- LVHN to move 500 employees to downtown Allentown