BERKS COUNTY, Pa. - The Berks Catholic girls were rolling along through Berks County play entering last night. Six games, five wins.
The only blemish on their record was a loss in their visit to 4-2 Fleetwood earlier in the season.
Friday night, the Saints and Tigers were back on the court together, each hoping for
a statement win at Wolf Gymnasium.
Berks Catholic got its retribution. The Saints tallied a 49-44 victory.
Fleetwood outscored the Saints by four in the fourth quarter, but could not dig out of the hole it had dug itself in the third, when BC outscored them by 11.
Berks Catholic's Brooke Wensel led all scorers with 16 points. Devon Merritt and Katrina Balatgek also scored in double figures with 13 and 12 respectively.
Kendra Bamberger led the way for Fleetwood, dropping 14 points. She got help from Maureen McGarry's 13.
The Berks II-leading Saints (6-1, 14-5) will host Hamburg Tuesday night. Fleetwood (4-3, 13-4) will visit Antietam on Saturday afternoon.
Down the street, the Reading girls took on Governor Mifflin in a battle for second place within Berks II.
The Red Knights jumped out to a 14-point halftime lead and never looked back for a 50-43 victory in Shillington.
The Lady Mustangs got it to within five late in the fourth quarter, but Reading held on, thanks in large part to Isis Thorpe's game-high 19 points.
Imani Bryant recorded a double-double for Reading with 11 points and 18 rebounds.
Governor Mifflin was paced by 15 points from Madison Koehler and 11 from Emily Gingrich.
Reading (5-2, 10-5) will host Chester Saturday afternoon. Governor Mifflin (4-3, 10-8) will travel to Daniel Boone Tuesday night.
Last Memorial Day, 24-year-old Ryan Benjamin of East Vincent Township was found dead.Read More »
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- Updated Crews respond to morning house fire in Alburtis
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather