BERKS COUNTY - The Berks Catholic and Wyomissing football teams will play in the District III-AA semifinals on Friday night. Should the Saints and Spartans win, they would meet in the championship game next week.
The second-seeded Saints are coming off a convincing win over Newport in the first round. The Berks Catholic seniors have been very motivated at practice this week. For most of them, it's the farthest they've ever been in the postseason.
In order for the playoff run to continue, Berks Catholic will have to take care of Bermudian Springs at home on Friday. The Eagles faced Wyomissing for the District title last year.
Speaking of the Spartans, it's another road trip in their semifinal. Wyomissing visits top-seeded Littlestown on Friday, the same team they demolished in this tournament last year.
Wyo is coming off a thrilling victory at Schuylkill Valley in the first round. The key to their recent success has been the return of a couple play-makers on both sides of the ball, notably tailback Scott McAvoy and linebacker Brandon Workman.
The Spartans are a different team when fully healthy, and they look to prove that over the number one seed on Friday.
- Suspect arrested in fatal shooting in Palmer Township
- Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Woman identified in Allentown hit-and-run
- Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- DOE rolls back transgender bathroom protections
- Easton 20-year plan envisioned
- Taxpayers' cost for Chris Christie security detail tops $2M
- Dunkin' Donuts helping to 'roast' hunger in Berks
- Building community by building birdhouses