READING, Pa. - A petition opposing a natural gas conversion plant that's proposed in South Heidelberg Township has garnered 10,000 signatures.
Michael Davis, a township resident who represents the South Heidelberg Community Association, presented the petition to the Berks County Commissioners at their weekly meeting Thursday morning.
Davis said those who signed the petition have major safety concerns about building the plant so close to homes.
Approximately 1,300 signatures were collected door-to-door; the rest were obtained online.
EmberClear Corporation proposed the plant in March. It has since put the project on hold.
Supporters said the plant would benefit the local economy.
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- Bullets blast way into District 3 championship game
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe