Floodwaters are starting to recede in and around Houston, and volunteers are pouring into the area to help rebuild after Hurricane Harvey.
"There's so many contaminants and things that you have to be cautious of in floodwater," said Lisa Lavender, CFO of Berks Fire Water Restorations.
Lavender said the conditions could be dangerous.
"Water, as it sits, it actually worsens in category," she said, "and then we also have issues that are not far behind, around the corner, that we have to be concerned about, like mold."
So the folks at Berks Fire Water teamed up with their affiliate, Restoration Technical Institute, to bring free webinars to volunteers and victims.
"It's very important that everybody interacting and working in these types of regions that have been affected by floodwaters understands the hazard and take the appropriate safety precautions," said Lavender.
The webinars are available on the Berks Fire Water Facebook page. One gives safety tips to volunteers who are navigating through conditions like the ones in Texas. That session runs from 5:30-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday. On Wednesday from 1-2 p.m., another teaches the ins and outs of flood insurance.
"For those of us who aren't able to physically go down there and help in some way, it's kind of made us think, 'Well, what can we do with our expertise that we have to help people,'" said Lavender.
If you miss the sessions, they will be posted on the Berks Fire Water Facebook page to watch anytime.
Parents who have kids in the Governor Mifflin School District spoke out tonight at a community forum and town hall-style meeting, as the district looked to take the conversation off social media and bring it face-to-face with parents.Read More »
- Pothole-riddled road causes problems for Centre residents
- Man accused of embezzling more than $400K from employer
- Reading High School to install new, HD security cameras
- Pa. Senate leaders, US congressmen sue over district map
- Commissioner: Pa. plans to eliminate county-owned homes
- Franklin Street Station on track for opening of gastropub
- Updated Parkland schools closed after fire tears through bus garage
- Updated Chilly today with more rain, some ice to the north
- Man critical after being shot in the face in Allentown
- Witness recalls scene of deadly Lehigh Valley conduit collapse
- Police searching for missing man with dementia
- William Allen student arrested, charged with making threats
- Planners updated on Five City Center, Lafayette College projects
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Tractor-trailer wreck closes I-78 for hours Thursday night
- Gov. Mifflin parents sound off about safety concerns