READING, Pa. - In the hallways of Berks Catholic High School in Reading, Friday night plans were being made, and it seemed like everybody had the same idea.
"I was literally walking in the hallway and I just heard people say, "Are you going to the game? "Are you going to the game?" said Katie Morelli, a student at Berks Catholic.
The game is the "Backyard Brawl" between two unbeaten teams -- Berks Catholic and Wyomissing.
"There are so many friendships that just cross between "Wyo" and Berks Catholic, it's a fun rivalry to have," explained Lauren Hughes, a fellow Berks Catholic student.
It's a matchup with a lot of history.
"We've had a number of them come down to the last game of the year," said Frank Ferrandino, Wyomissing's athletic director.
Speaking of numbers, in talking with those on both sides, they truly tell the story.
"We have Senior Night, we have Homecoming, and the Backyard Brawl. Three big nights in one game," said Hughes.
"We've had the same staff for 20 to 30 to 35 years," said Dr. Corey Jones, Wyomissing's principal.
Not to mention, two storied coaches in Berks Catholic's Rick Keely and Wyomissing's Bob Wolfrum.
"Two very good teams, two coaches," said Jones.
It's a rivalry worthy of not just one trophy, but two.
"We have a Keely Wolfrum trophy between the two head coaches. The league championship is at stake, so there will be a league trophy as well," said Ferrandino.
Both trophies are important, but Berks Catholic has the former, and Frank Ferrandino and Wyomissing want it back.
"I think we're in a good position of understanding what needs to be done tonight and how well they have to play," Ferrandino said.
Southwest Airlines sought more time last year to inspect fan blades like the one that snapped off during one of its flights over Berks County on Tuesday in an engine failure that left a passenger dead.Read More »
- Southwest plane rescuer: 'God created a servant heart in me'
- PHOTOS: Pieces of Southwest Airlines plane found in Berks
- Shoppers sad to say bye-bye to Bon-Ton; 'I'm very upset'
- Leesport bridge replacement delay frustrates residents
- Reading woman wins man's heart... and his kidney
- Local counties receive funding for summer internship programs
- Lehigh University dissolves Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity
- PennDOT repairs hole in Hellertown Water Street Bridge
- Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections
- Updated Palmer Twp. police search for driver of crashed, stolen car
- Updated Toxicologists testify about Benadryl, quaaludes in Cosby retrial
- Updated Bethlehem police investigate hit and run involving pedestrian
- Updated Donley Awards focus on student success, support
- Education Secretary Pedro Rivera visits Allentown for STEM education
- Updated New twists appear in relation to former Cadets Director George Hopkins
- Positive Parenting: Friends in high school impact mental health later